Sunday, February 10, 2013

A French Poet Moment: Part 1


Okay, so here is what's going on. Ever since I was a child I have loved cartoons and devoted my life learning the craft. I was lucky enough to have my first job back in 1994 as a character designer and animator for a small gaming company. Since then I have done lots of jobs but no job is more fun for me than when I am creating animations. I love the entire process from concept to completion.

The picture above is of a character I created back in 1994 when I was eighteen. He is designed like a stereotypical french man from the old cartoons and movies. The idea of the character is that he  would try to write poetry and then get distracted by something. Usually a woman who he would then hit on in a cheesy way. I also planned on doing the voice giving him a bad french accent. Why a bad accent? Easy, because I can't do a good one. Also, I thought it would add to the humor.

Anyway, I never got around to animating him. The years passed and I thought about him here and there but for the most part he was forgotten. Well, the other day I was thinking about him and I haven't really animated in a while (my work has been primarily in education and illustration lately), so I sketched out the above drawing.

I have been wanting to do an educational blog for a while now using it as a place where I can share my knowledge. Thus Toon-Lore was born. This blog is dedicated to educating about the art of illustration and animation. I decided to start with the French Poet as my first project. I will document my process as I work on this.

Today's post is about getting your idea. The idea is key. Ideas can come from anywhere. Sometimes a picture like the one above inspires an idea or it come from something you've read or observed. The best ideas come form not limiting yourself. Read whatever you can get your hands on. Watch everything. Observe the world. Step outside of your comfort zone. Let your imagination soar. When it comes to something like comics and animation you are only limited by your imagination and skill with a pencil or computer program. Most importantly, TAKE NOTES! I always keep some kind of pad with me so I can write or doodle. You never know when an idea will strike. It can be while you are at the gym or standing in line for a cup of coffee. If you have that pad you wont lose your great idea. 

There is an old saying, write what you know. Does that mean when I write about this guy I know about about hitting on women in a cheesy way? Well...let say I know what I need to. The important thing to remember is that a story must have conflict. The French Poet's conflict is that he gets distracted. I think that is something I know all too well and something I can write about easily. 

So what are my next steps? I'm going to need a script, character and background designs, storyboards, then comes the animation, and finally the editing. 

Well, I got the idea, so next time I'll see you with a script. Until then, keep your pencils sharp and your head in the clouds.


No comments:

Post a Comment